9/14/2013

Caribbean Fried Gringa

I'm struggling with where to start right now! It's been so long since I've posted! Life may be about 10 times slower here but I'm constantly tired. My brain is in overdrive trying to learn and understand Spanish.
In other news though, last weekend (Sept. 7th and 8th) I spent in Puerto Viejo! This was my first adventure, of many, outside of San Jose. 

The weekend started at 5:30a, waking up for white water rafting. We traveled about two hours away to Rio Pacuare where we experienced an 18 mile journey full of stage 1-4 rapids. Before even getting on the river we had to learn about safety techniques and what to do if someone fell out of the raft. I have to admit, I was a little nervous...I didn't want to fall out while going over a rapid! So, getting in that raft and fully trusting the other 5 people in the raft, as well as my guide, was tough. But I did it, and it was exhilarating! We got to experience a part of the rainforest only visible to people by rafting and learn about all the wildlife and native people. I kept thinking to myself, this is not real, I'm not seriously in the middle of a rainforest in Costa Rica right now. But I was! And not only did we get to raft the river, we got to swim too! Most of the time though, it wasn't my choice to get it...the guide decided to throw me in. One time he even threw me from one side of the raft to the other. Needless to say, I wasn't too happy with him at that moment! But he was still a cool guide, very knowledgeable! If you ever get the chance to raft, DO IT! It's thrilling going through those stage 4 rapids, thinking at any second you could fall out as the water washes over your head! 
I survived and had a wonderful time..you can too :)

 Going through a huge wave!
 Rio Pacaure...que hermoso!
 Going through yet another rapid!

After white water rafting, we continued our (bumpy) journey to Puerto Viejo in Limon, Costa Rica. I still can't explain my feelings about Puerto Viejo. That place is absolutely gorgeous. We arrived around 4 or 5 when the sun was setting. It was like entering a different world when we got there. The coast of the Caribbean Sea was right at our feet and the air around me felt heavy but comforting. As we walked to our hostel for the night, I kept wanting to pinch myself. I never in my life thought I would be somewhere so beautiful and full of life! The walk to our hostel from the bus station wasn't too far and we got to see some of the local shops and restaurants. It was crazy to me that all the restaurants were so open! But in the Caribbean you can do that! The weather was just SO perfect.
Our hostel, Coconut Grove, was absolutely adorable. Hammocks everywhere!
 The room I shared with Audrey and Manuela at Coconut Grove
 Cocnut Grove from the outside! Que tranquilo!
 
Going out Saturday night was a little hectic. We went out to eat at a place called Koki Beach and it was delicious! A little pricey but I think we paid more for the veiw because the place was beautiful and right across from the beach. I also saw a real sloth!! I couldn't believe mis ojos! At Koki Beach I tried ceviche for the first time! It's like a dish where everything in it (in this case onion, tomato, shrimp, and corn) is all "cooked" in lime juice. I don't know if I like ceviche in general, but the shrimp and corn part I liked!
When we were done with our food, we went out, and like I said-hectic! There were three places with dancing and that's what we wanted to do. Because we had already been up for so long, we went out kind of early. That was a mistake! We kept going between the three bars but didn't like the music at any of them. I was exhausted from dancing and the days activities so went to hang out by the beach for a bit. That was probably the best part of the night. I stuck my feet in the water, looked up at the stars, and was completely tranquila. The water was warm, the air cool and fresh, and the stars bright in the dark sky. I still can't believe places like that exist! But after a while, I decided it was time to sleep. Finally got to bed around 2a!

 First pic of the water
 The hammock right outside our room! Very comfy!
 Seeing my first real live sloth! They actually move kind fast...hence the butt pic.
 My shrimp ceviche and Cuba Libre 
 Koki Beach Restaurante! 

The next morning, Manuela got up to watch the sunrise and take pictures. I wanted to see it but was not having it. I love my sleep. So all the rights for this next picture go to my roommate Manuela! Bless her heart for getting up at 5am to take pics of the BEAUTIFUL sunrise over the Caribbean sea.
When we all decided it was time to get going for the day (we only had until 4p to explore) it was about 9:30a. Apparently I slept really hard because there was tons of activity in the morning before I woke up at 9a. Manuela got up, the owner of Coconut Grove came into our room twice because we emptied the well..oops! We let our toilet run without realizing apparently and the whole place didn't have water for a while! It came back though, so no worries.
People, last Sunday (Sept. 8th) was probably one of the best days of my life...other than becoming, as the title implies, a Caribbean Fried Gringa. I'm not even joking. Me, being as white as I am, under a completely sunny day with no suncreen ended up with me getting fried to a crisp. My mama Tica said I looked like a different person. I DO NOT recommend not wearing suncreen, even if you're not prone to burning. People, I was in pain for DAYS afterwards. I have never been so red before. My nose, forehead, shoulders and lower back were the worst. Not to mention that I now look like I have vitiligo on my shoulders. Ugh..never again.
Other than getting burned, I can't even say how relaxing the day was. Being able to be in Costa Rica and visit the beautiful Puerto Viejo as well as hang out in the clear blue sea, is and was truly a blessing from above. We kept saying to each other, this is not happening right now..I only imagined this on my honeymoon...we aren't studying abroad right now, we're on vacation! The only way I can describe to you the beauty is by pictures..I also took some of my breakfast and lunch at Puerto Viejo Bakery..yum! Oh, and we rented bikes for a few hours to ride from beach to beach! I was in paradise people, PARADISE!
 Mi panqueques de banano...or loaves of bread..thickest pancaked I've ever seen/eaten!
 Just a street in Puerto Viejo
 Pics of the beach (above and below)
 
This pic is postcard material ;)

 After spending the day in the water!
Mi quesadilla de pollo por almuerzo!
 Found a volleyball court on my fave beach! Too bad the sand was too hot...and I didn't have a volleyball..
 Audrey sippin on her juicebox
 With our rented bikes
 Tryna be a good photographer
 Another beach pic!
 A cute little church on the beach!
 Not only did they have a net on the beach...they had a basketball court!
The bus ride home was long, but the sunset was beautiful :)

That in a nutshell is my trip to Puerto Viejo! Many more details and pictures, but this post is long as it is! I think I covered everything I needed to...for real though, it was the best trip of my life. I never could have imagined myself hanging in paradise for a day. I am definitely going back! Feeling extremely blessed every day that I get to have this experience. It's definitely life changing! 

Olive juice amor babes, xo :)

Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment