9/14/2013

Vivir la Vida Tica

This will be my third post today, forgive me. I actually have time today to post! And I'm trying to keep everyone updated on not only the fun aspects of life, but the normal ones too! Hence, vivir la vida tica...kind of!

Today marks two weeks I have been in Costa Rica. For real though, I feel like I've been here for a few months! That's not at all a bad thing though. Last week (before Puerto Viejo) was pretty great. Coming here I thought I would know like no Spanish whatsoever but I actually know and understand more than I thought. In lieu of that, I moved from Basico 1, to Basico 2! It may not seem like a big deal but for me, it's HUGE! The differences in moving from basic 1 to basic 2 are a quicker pace of learning, the professor speaks only Spanish to us, we can only speak Spanish to her and each other, and my brain has to work ten times harder than I'm used to. To actually move up a class was a hard decision. I knew that I was here to accelerate my Spanish and I want so badly to understand what my family says to me and respond intelligently. In basic 1 we were going to be learning verbs at the end, I already had a good grasp on. So, I made the decision to try and move up. In order to do that, I had to take the oral exam I had never taken. Holy nerve-wracking! My professor (Profe)  was asking me questions and I understood what she was saying so that was nice. But responding was another story. Luckily I was really talkative in my previous class so learned a lot of descriptive words and basics. It helped when I responded because I just used the words I knew and talked..then talked some more! Sometimes my ability to talk a lot helps me ;) I was able to move into basic 2!! Boy, was I excited! I joined my class that very day (Friday) and have been happy there ever since.

That's not to say it's easy though! Every day my brain is in overdrive to listen, comprehend, and retain all that I learn. We had a quiz on Tuesday (literally 2 days after I joined the class) and I had to study hard to be ready for it! Profe even called me out in class that I had to study extra (one reason I got into the class was because I promised to study harder than everyone else)! But it's the truth! Not only did we have a quiz Tuesday, we had a presentation Thursday and test Friday. WHAT!? I was like there's no way. Although, where there's a will there's a way. And I memorized my part for the oral presentation with the help of my mama Tica, Valeria, and roommate Manuela. They may have made fun of me, but I did it! And then I skipped going out on ladies night to study for my test Friday that I am about 95% sure I did really well on!

Even though the intensive class isn't always fun to wake up for and sit through for 4 hours, it's rewarding when I can understand my family better and speak more intelligently! Plus my class is small and Profe is awesome! She makes us do the craziest things to learn! And another professor always comes in to talk to her in the morning..or to do the cancan because they are exited about the futbol game :P Here are the songs we have had to sing...ridic I know..the first one is actually good though, a song by Juanes (who Profe was ashamed none of us knew) and Nelly Furtado.

Fotografia-Juanes and Nelly Furtado

A Mi Burro con Letra

Cabeza, Hombros, Rodilla, y Pie

So as far as school goes, it's hard but fun and rewarding! And not only do I have intensive Spanish...Veritas offers free dance classes every Tuesday and Thursday nights! We have only had 4 classes and my dancing has improved immensely. Classes are always a workout too! I sweat profusely. So far we have learned basics for Meringue, Salsa, Cha-Cha, Cumbia, and Bachata. It has been super nice too because a lot of guys participate and want to learn...but in my humble opinion need help with leading...or I just need to stop leading haha! I plan to be a pro by the time I get back...and yes, I'll offer lessons :P One thing I definitely love about being here too, is the opportunity to dance...like every night! Not that I have taken advantage of it but it's there if I want to! My friends definitely like to do it too! We are just dancing fiends!

In other news, due to my high food consumption, I joined a gym! My friend Audrey convinced me and she has some great crossfit workouts. Yesterday she made me do 50 pushups..on top on an arm and ab workout. My arms are dead today. Wednesday we did a killer leg workout that my butt thoroughly enjoyed. Gotta love them squats! I look forward to working out as much as possible because I'm not about to come back and let my basketball team run circles around me! Plus, with the way my mama tica cooks, I need the extra hard workouts to burn off these carbs. Seriously, I consume so much food for breakfast and supper. Vanessa is one hell of a cook and I appreciate every meal I get...sometimes a little too much! In the coming weeks I might need to back off...but for now I'm just going to keep eating my way through my experience here! And then learn to cook it all so I can continue to eat like this in the States!

Speaking of food, has anyone ever had a mamon chino? If not, you need to try them.
They may look feo but inside the white squishy fruit is beyond compare..so yummy!
We also tried jacotes that night...not my fave :/ 

It's funny because that same night was a huge futbol game-Costa Rica v. USA. Manuela and I pretended to cheer for the US and Vanessa threatened (jokingly) to make us eat jacotes for supper..bleh! Luckily we had hamburgers but that didn't stop us from teasing about the US winning. Sad to say...they lost by 2...and we (as Americans) heard about it for a couple days after ;)
If you didn't know, futbol is huge in Costa Rica. I guess I never realized it but they get so into it..as a country. The game vs USA was a nice win for Costa Rica and they are going to Brazil for the World Cup. Even after their game vs Jamaica ended in a tie. But in all seriousness, the Costa Rican people as a whole get super excited about their futbol games..like I said before, our family rubbed it in our face when they won over the US and my professor and another came into the room doing the cancan singing, "Oleeee ole ole ole, Ticooooo Ticooooo!" I get a kick out of everyone's enthusiasm. I'm not into soccer that much, but while I'm here, it's a must! Go Costa Rica ;)

This post is kind of just a ramble about life here the past two weeks, like normal life. And life is pretty normal but a great kind of normal. I'm starting to get into a routine and I love it. Life may be a bit slower paced but I'm enjoying every minute! Even if I am tired all the time ;) My family here is amazing, I have great friends, school is doing it's job, and I feel I'm going to/am having the best experience possible! I'm so blessed I can't stand it :)

If I forgot anything about normal life, I'll be sure to post about it in the future!
And if you haven't read my story about Mr. Roach...you HAVE to. Last night at 2am I had my first run in with a cockroach. I'm not kidding you, I can't describe how traumatic it was...I found out that I have an irrational fear of cockroaches. I'm so serious. Irrational. But I was almost in tears I was so terrorized...by a freaking insect! Ugh...apparently that happens a lot though during rainy season..I just figure this is God's way of trying to help me get over my fear. I doubt that will happen though. I guess I'll be less traumatized by them if they a) stay out of my room and b) don't get near me. The thought of them being on me, makes me want to pass out. Yes people, this fear is real. I pray for no more!
Anyways...
Thanks for reading everyone!


Olive juice amor, xo :)

Allie

PS-Some extra pics..randoms!







3 comments:

  1. Now, I could be wrong, but I think your pictures of fruit are sorta mismatched with the descriptions. The first one (red fruit) looks more like Rambutan or commonly known in Costa Rica as "Mamon Chino". The second one (green fruit) looks like it could possibly be either jacotes or mamoncillo, but I am leaning towards mamoncillo, also known as the Spanish Lime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed it ha I mean to say mamon chino but mixed it up! The green ones are definitely jacotes. Trust me, there is a running joke in the house about them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha okay! Just wasn't sure when you had it the other way! :D

    ReplyDelete