9/01/2013

El Primer Día de San Jose

Before even starting, I know this post is going to be long. Don't say you weren't warned!
Also fair warning, because I am here to learn Spanish, I might use some Spanish words when writing. That is why I have the Google translator app on the side :)

Ayura

When I last left you, I was sitting at the gate. I sat there in total for about 3 hours, just hanging out. I probably should have eaten more but I was so nervous, a $5 cup of yogurt and my almonds were all I could manage! While sitting there I met 2 girls who were also studying abroad but through a different program and they would be living in Heredia, which is North of San Jose. One had been abroad in Mexico for 10 months before (Karigan) while the other had only been to Spain for a month (Courtney). It was very helpful to have them along, especially Karigan who spoke Spanish well. She was a ton of help at the San Jose airport. Finding people to kind of connect with on my flight was a blessing because I don't think I would have known what to do had I been alone! Well, I could have figured it out-but it's nice to have other people to look stupid with ;)

The flight to San Jose was pretty seamless. I got a window seat (YES!) and sat next to this couple, Charlotte and Bob, who would be there for a week on vacation. Charlotte liked to talk..a lot. But it was cute to listen to her stories and how excited she was for me! I did get some sleep in between stories and when I woke up-we were flying over Costa Rica! People-IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. I saw a volcano (I'm pretty sure) and my jaw dropped. I thought to myself, this is home for 4 months! Staring out my window was all I did for the 20 minutes until we landed. And when we got to the airport..it was pouring rain! But still so gorgeous!

Getting through the airport wasn't as intense as I thought it was going to be. We (Karigan, Courtney, and I) exited the plane, went through this long line of people entering the country, grabbed our bags, and went through customs all within about 30-45 minutes. Not stressful at all.

Salir de aeropuerto
Exiting the airport was like entering a different world for me. I probably looked like a little kid who can't find her mom. I was shocked! There were so many people waiting by the door with signs. People kept asking me, "Taxi? Taxi?" All I wanted to do was find the ISA sign. But straight ahead I found it!
Right away I met Andrea, one of the ISA staff here in San Jose. I also met people who were on my flight. We exchanged names and where we were from and waited for the last 2 people.

I can't describe the feelings of excitement I had! I was FINALLY in San Jose! After what had seemed like years, I had set foot in Costa Rica, ready for my adventure!

All the people I met right away (Logan, Samantha, Hilary, Andres, Miller, and Nyerre) were super friendly! Once we got the van loaded with our bags, we were on our way to Veritas to meet our host families! We all talked and got acquainted, sharing our life stories and how excited we were to be here. Going through the downtown area was so awesome! All the people and shops and activities was almost overwhelming (like this post ha). But 20 minutes later, we arrived at Veritas.

After we got out of the van, it was like chaos! Our Tico families were there to pick us up and grab our bags and take us to our homes, right away! I hadn't even gotten my bearings when my Tica mom, Vanessa, came up to me like, "Alexandra!? Hola, como estas!?" With no time to even think, I had to draw upon what little Spanish skills I had!
*Pause* Seriously guys, I did not expect this quick of a transition. But then again, I told myself not to have expectations! They are going to just throw you into it and you best be ready! (They being my family) Of course they helped me out but this is their home, their country, and I better adapt quickly! Well, quicker than I expected ;)
*Resume*
I was able to answer and tell her I needed one more bag out of the van. But once we got it, we were off! I felt so rushed but excited but nervous! I met Tyrone (my Tica dad) right away, he grabbed my bag for me..how nice, and Gabriela (the middle of the host sisters) in the car. They live a couple minutes away from my University, so my roommate and I will be walking to and from school..yay!

When we got to the house, I got out and we grabbed my things and they showed me my room. Then literally right after I set my stuff down, I met my roommate Manuela Mbouma. Everything just happened so quickly! I didn't even have time to be tired! Because at this point I was running on barely any sleep.
After I met my roommate, we sat down with Vanessa to go over rules and what we did and didn't like to eat.
Get something straight-this was ALL (ALL OF IT) in Spanish! But to my surprise, just because I couldn't understand every word, I actually was able to follow along! And when Vanessa asked me, "Alexandra, comprende?" I could say, "Mas o menos" :) Luckily Manuela has years of Spanish under her belt and helped me out if I really needed to understand something.

My Tica mom is so funny! And loud and likes to talk and tell stories. I'm definitely going to fit in. Once I can speak understandable Spanish!

Not only did we go over rules, we met Alejandra (the oldest host sister) and Valeria (the youngest host sister). All three of the girls are so nice and friendly, and funny like their mom! We even met the dog, Tito, who runs around the house and really likes when you scratch his belly!


BTW, here is my room all set up!



After I had unpacked all of my things, I talked with my parents and friends and had time to chill, I was exhausted. I was about to go to sleep when Vanessa says, "No cena!?" Well I was not about to go to bed without supper! She made spaghetti and gave us pineapple juice. We also had cheese to put on top of our spaghetti and tortillas to eat. WOW. My first meal? QUE RICO! I will definitely be able to eat like this for 4 months.


While eating, we talked with Tyrone and Vanessa for a long time. We also gave them our gifts and their reactions to mine were priceless. Vanessa had always wanted a "blanco" apron. And she got one :) They loved the chocolate "river rocks" from Madelia (Thanks mom!). They were so confused at first.."Esta chocolate!?" Haha.

When it was finally about 8:30p, I was done. I was having fun and so happy/excited but my cabeza was about to rompe! Muy, muy cansada. So, at 9p I said goodnight to mi primer dia de San Jose. I look forward to the many more I have!

Thanks for reading! I'll post about today, later today! This one was getting long ha!

Olive Juice Amor, xo :)

Allie



No comments:

Post a Comment