9/04/2013

My stomach is still adjusting...

As you may have guessed from the title, my stomach has entered the stage where it's adjusting to the food. In the beginning I was thinking I had a stomach of steel and wouldn't need to adjust. Nope. I definitely need to adjust. Right now I'm just like, ugh...Ha my stomach kind of hates me. I'm hoping that it will go away soon though.

The pictures I just posted are from yesterday and the day before. Food, San Jose, friends...if you have a question about what something is, just leave a comment :)

Yesterday (Tuesday) was the first day of school. I have a selfie posted! The first day was pretty easy but I was tired from being out the night before. I like my class and my teacher, however, I am considering trying to move up a level. Not that I am perfect by any means and the review is nice, but I literally learned everything we are learning now this summer with Cheryl. The question is, do I review so I am VERY solid on my conjugations and basics, or do I push myself a little harder to accelerate my Spanish? Questions, questions..

Back to yesterday. After classes, Manuela, Miller, Hilary, Emilia, and I went downtown to explore on our own. It was nice not to have much homework so we were free the whole afternoon/night. Not only did we explore, we got drenched in the process. We went in the afternoon-which is the rainiest part of the day. Dumb Americans ;) We explored Mercado Central (the central market) and just kind of walked around. I can tell that we will have plenty to do in the 4 months we are here!

One thing I really love about being in a homestay is sitting in my room and thinking I wonder what's for supper? Ha it's usually something different every morning/night. And it's ALWAYS delicious! Our mama Tica is SUCH a great cook. We asked her last night to teach us. After a wonderful supper, we headed to Veritas for dance class. We got to learn Meringue and Salsa! Muy divertida! Who knew it was so easy! Not that I'm pro status but when we leave, I think all of us might be close to that. And because we had the time, a huge group of us went to Los Profesionals afterward to hang out for a bit. That will definitely be our spot..on Thursday's anyway!

Today (Wednesday) is my youngest host sister's birthday! Valeria turns 18 today! That'd be cool if we get cake tonight ha I haven't had like any sweets since I've been here. The withdrawals are setting in ;)

Nothing too exciting happened today. All of us in ISA kind of decided to have a chill night because tomorrow night might get kind of crazy, and we've gone out like every night since we've been here lol.
But one thing that was fun today is finding a soda and a little supermercado near Veritas! We ate here yesterday:


The picture of the quesadilla (the Gringo- haha) from my last post is from Las Lenitas.

All of us were about to go eat there again, but we talked about wanting to find a soda with a casado (which is like a traditional plate of food)...and so we did..right next to Las Lenitas! It was SO GOOD! And pretty cheap! With our student IDs we only paid c3300mil ($6.50) for this plate of food:



Seriously cannot beat that with a stick! And the girl that was working was super nice! They also have a customer appreciation card. I think I'm in love! Will definitely be going there often for lunch..breakfast..guava juice..ha.


Walking back home though, we went to this little super market where they sell like fresh bread, empanadas, ice cream, etc...for super cheap! Manuela, Audrey, Hilary, and I found our place to shop for food!

I didn't know it was possible to be this blessed and this happy. Although I miss everyone back home dearly, I am having such a wonderful time and I can only see it getting better with the excursions we get to go on soon! I don't know if I will ever want to leave! Plus, my Spanish is improving mas rapido todos los dias!
It's only been like 5 days!

Olive Juice Amor, xo :)

Allie

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're having a GREAT time, Allie. I'm impressed that you have learned the salsa, and that you are pushing yourself to accelerate your Spanish. Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete